Volunteer at Adams
We love our volunteers! Thank you for expressing interest in supporting the Adams community.
First Time Volunteers
Welcome! All Seattle Public Schools volunteers are required to watch a training video, read the volunteer handbook, fill out an application and agree to a background check. You can find more information on the district Volunteer Application Process. As part of your application, you will need to attach a government issued photo ID. If you select that you have lived in Washington state for more than three years, you will need to provide proof. Submitting you application without the documents will delay the review process.
There are a few options for background checks:
- If you have lived in Washington state for three or more consecutive years, you are eligible for a state background check
- If you have lived in another state in the last three years, you will need a national background check ($21)
- If you have lived in another country in the last three years, or do not have a Social Security Number, you will need to contact the SPS Volunteer Department at email@example.com for information on an international background check
Please note, if you select the wrong type of background check, it will delay your volunteer application. Please allow up to two weeks for your completed application to be reviewed.
Current and Returning Volunteers
Welcome back! Over the summer, SPS switched to a new platform for supporting volunteers. You should have received an email with instructions on how to set up an account on the platform. If you did not receive it, or can no longer find it, there is a step by step guide on the district Current & Returning Volunteers page. There have also been some updates to the Volunteer Handbook so please look it over to see what’s new. As a reminder, a new background check is required every two years.
Note: If you plan on working unsupervised with students (such as tutoring or monitoring a breakout room for a teacher) you must have a national background check on file, even if you are a longtime Washington state resident.
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit the SPS Volunteer page to learn more.
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application last year. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with login instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!