Posted: | Updated:
Principal’s Corner – Principal Douglas Sohn
Hello Adams Families,
I am writing to share information about the Big Give, on behalf of the PTA, and to encourage you to support the PTA as much as you can. The Big Give is one of two PTA fundraisers this year. It is a “direct donation” program – the most efficient and least expensive way to raise money. The proceeds will go directly to Adams Elementary for programs that are essential to our school. PTA funds ensure that every student has an enriching learning environment. We are so grateful for this financial assistance and don’t know what we would do without it.
The PTA’s BIG GIVE GOAL this year is $106,000. This is the amount needed to cover the cost of social emotional learning and playground/lunchroom support at Adams. It funds a portion of our Head Teacher, who is our Family and Student Support Lead & 504 Building Coordinator, Tom DeFelice. Having lost our assistant principal, Tom provides crucial support to the social-emotional wellbeing of students at Adams. He coordinates the school’s social emotional learning curriculum, partners with parents and staff to develop the 504 accommodation plans, runs friendship groups, helps to resolve student conflicts, and checks in on any student who might be having a tough time in need of a supportive presence.
This grant also pays the stipends of the vital staff playground and lunchroom support roles. SPS doesn’t provide funding for these positions. These stipends are paid for by the PTA so our teachers can be assured that they will have time available to send a parent email, work with a struggling student, prepare a lesson (or maybe even get a cup of coffee!). This is a major reason teachers stay at Adams!
The cost per student to cover our Big Give goal is $302.86 per student, or $1.68 per student/school day.
The PTA also supports the school in so many other ways that benefit all students. Hopefully we will raise the money we need for these items at the spring fundraiser:
$35,000 – Reading and Math Tutoring & 6th Grade Math
$12,000 – School supplies for every student
$8,400 – Classroom fund for teachers
$5,700 – Art, Music, PE, Library supplies
$6,000 – BASAP scholarships
$13,000 – Islandwood scholarships Fifth grade retreat returning this year
$4,400 – Arts Assemblies & Poetry Project
$14,900 – Free Community Events
$6,700 – Playground, landscape, maintenance, emergency preparation
$4,500 – Staff Appreciation Coffee/Drink Bar and Snack Station, Educator Appreciation Week, and tons of small gestures to show how much we love Adams teachers and staff.
$9,020 – Overhead costs: Meetings, insurance, printing, postage, fees, website, newsletter.
Please Give What You Can Today — Don’t forget those corporate matches!
How to Give:
1. Write a check – this avoids PayPal fees. Drop checks in the Big Give Drop Box in the Adams office or put a check in the mail to Adams Elementary School, ℅ The Big Give, 6110 28th Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107. Checks should be made out to the Adams Elementary School PTA.
2. Pay online. Visit the Big Give donation page to pay by credit card or PayPal. Monthly recurring donations are available online!
Thank you for Donating to the Big Give! Donation Drive Ends November 11, 2022.
Picture Day Information
Yuen Lui Studio will photograph individual portraits of students and staff on Tuesday, November 8th.
- Families can save on shipping and preorder photos 2022-23 Adams Elementary Picture Day 11/8
- Print preorders will be shipped to the school and distributed to students at school within three weeks after the picture day
- Digital preorders will be sent via email within three weeks after the picture day (use “firstname.lastname@example.org “ to search your inbox/spam folders if you don’t see the email come through)
- Photos will be available to view after about a week after picture day– families can view and order photos using their student’s school ID number — these print orders are shipped directly to students’ homes (+ a shipping fee) within 10-14 business days after the order is placed; digital images will be sent via email from email@example.com to the address provided within 10-14 business days after the order is placed
- Retakes and class group photos are scheduled for January 10.
- For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org