What We'll Be Working on in Dance this Year
- Recognizing, understanding, and applying the elements and vocabulary of Dance. The elements are space, time, and energy/force.
- Applying the element concepts into short choreographed numbers.
- Exposure and application to technical Dance steps ranging through different genres of Dance.
- Various styles of movement including but not limited to: Ballet, Jazz, Modern, Step, Hip-hop, STOMP, Line, Disco, and Jitterbug.
- Exposure and historical context of Dances throughout the world including but not limited to: Irish Step, Bollywood, Salsa, and various Folk Dances from different countries
- Group and individual choreography skills where students will create an A, B, A sequence dance.
- Performance skills for peer, school, and parent audiences (this is dependent on grade level). More information to come!
Boots and hard heeled shoes are not allowed on the dance floor. Tennis shoes or dance shoes are best.
NOTE: Dance shoes are NOT required, if you do want to buy ballet or jazz shoes for your child, Payless shoes now carries American Ballet Theatre quality ballet and jazz shoes for kids at $20! They are true to size. If you order off of a website, be aware that dance shoes are 1½ to 2 sizes off of regular sizes and there is no formula. Remember to buy shoes fairly tight, as they expand quite a bit.